Every parent’s joy is to see their children healthy, happy, and comfortable, which is why they would do all that they can to keep their little ones just so. But sometimes, there are challenges in parenthood that are beyond their control and sadly, one of these challenges can be very incapacitating for both parents and babies. Just like when their baby is one out of every five children that is affected by eczema.
Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis, is a skin condition that causes dry and itchy skin. Normally this is genetic so if any of the parents has hay fever, asthma, or allergies then the risk for their little one to have it as well may be highly likely.
A skin infection can look a lot like eczema that is why it is highly recommended to talk to an allergist or immunologist to have an ultimate diagnosis because when babies have eczema, their skin is extremely sensitive and more susceptible to triggers. Finding out what triggers it is just as important as seeking medical assistance.
What is eczema all about? Scientifically speaking it is due to lack of filaggrin, a protein that helps form a protective layer of the skin that keeps out germs and allergens into the body and because of this, our baby’s supposedly smooth and tender skin becomes dry, red , chafed and thick due to the weakened skin barrier. It often appears on the face, elbows, knees or scalp.
Prevention of Eczema
It may be hard to completely cure eczema but because specific triggers can make it worse, flare-ups can be prevented and improved by avoiding some possible triggers such as:
- Top 15 Best Oil for Baby Skin – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
- Top 22 Best Natural Shampoo for Kids & Babies – Buying Guide 2021
- Best Portable Booster Seat For Babies & Toddlers (2021 Update)
- Best Christmas Gifts for One-Year-Olds: Your Guide for 2021 Holiday Gift-Giving
- The 16 Best Double Jogger Stroller for Newborns & Toddlers
- Top 12 Best Baby Swing Set for Colic | Review & Guide 2021
- Pollen: Staying indoors will keep your babies from worsening flare-ups most especially when pollen count is high.
- Harsh soaps and detergents: It is best to use a non-soap cleanser, because they are usually free of sodium lauryl sulfate a chemical that creates soap’s foaming action and can irritate skin. Use detergents that are fragrance-free and dye-free.
- Perfumes and colognes: Avoid using these products particularly those that contain alcohol. Fragrances are one of the most frequently cited substances causing skin reactions.
- Wool and synthetic fibers: Dress your babies in loose-fitting clothes made from 100% cotton to prevent trigger eczema. It is advisable to cut off tags since their skin is extra sensitive.
- Baby powder: It is best to avoid using baby powder because it dries skin and children with eczema already have dry skin.
- Baby wipes: Instead of using wipes, use a cotton cloth damp with warm water. Rubbing can also trigger eczema plus wipes normally has ingredients that trigger it, too.
- Moisturize daily and take medication as prescribed by the doctor
Try to worry less, mommies out there!
Since this is mostly about dry skin, moisturizers will play a big part in your battle with eczema. There is always a solution for your baby’s comfort, all thanks to science and technology because a lot of options are now within your reach when it comes to choosing the best baby lotion for eczema.
Tips in finding Eczema friendly products
- Dermatologist recommended; always ask your baby’s dermatologist for product recommendations since they are the experts when it comes to your child’s skin concerns.
- Check for products with National Eczema Association (NEA) Seal of Acceptance
- Choose fragrance-free rather than unscented products. In unscented products, fragrance is masked, so you cannot smell it while for fragrance-free products, it is totally free of fragrance even the ones you cannot smell.
- Check for organic or all-natural baby lotion. You do not want to risk your baby’s health by using synthetic products you put on his/her skin.
Let us go ahead and check on the best baby lotion for eczema to keep our baby’s skin healthy and always moisturized.
Natural and Organic Baby Lotions
Organic body lotions provide all benefits without health risks. It is always a good idea to try something organic and natural to make sure it will not harm your baby’s soft and delicate skin. You just have to be mindful of his/her allergy if there is any and be sure to check with experts, like pediatrician, dermatologist, allergist or immunologist.
1. MADE OF Organic Baby Lotion – NSF Organic and EWG Verified Baby Eczema Lotion
Give it a try! Go for an organic moisturizing baby lotion for your young one. Made from 84% organic and 16% natural ingredients, MADE OF Organic Baby Lotion might just be the product for your baby. It will maintain moisture levels in your baby’s soft skin, it is non-greasy and absorbs fast. Most importantly, it has an all-natural argan and avocado oil that provide lipid barrier of protection to prevent chafing and irritation perfect for a nightly massage ritual to help babies with eczema and sensitive skin.
2. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
Tip number one: trust the expert. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion was developed by Ph.D Chemist from MIT, it is clinically-grade moisturizer for all skin types even with eczema, cradle cap, sensitive, delicate or extra dry skin, made for newborns, infants, toddlers and children. It is formulated with organic Sunflower Oil, Aloe Vera, Shea Butter, Jojoba Seed Oil and Vegetable Glycerin for deep hydration. It is also the BUMP award winner for the “Best Baby Skincare Products”. It is a non-toxic product, hypoallergenic, vegan and gluten-free and a certified cruelty free product as well.
3. Babo Botanicals Oatmilk Calendula Moisturizing Baby Lotion
An all-natural remedy to relieve eczema and extra dry skin is the natural colloidal oatmeal, which is formulated with organic calendula and chamomile to calm and soothe sensitive skin. Babo Botanical Oatmilk Calendula Moisturizing Baby Lotion is one among the other lotions that you can use on your baby’s skin because it is gentle and 100% pure, free of dyes, paraben, phthalate and harsh fragrances. It is a certified B product meaning it meets the highest standards of social and environmental impact. A vegan friendly product formulated without allergen ingredients like soy, dairy or gluten. This could be a friend to some moms as well.
4. Evereden Baby Lotion With Coconut Oil & Calendula Oil
Treat your baby with the best. Evereden Baby Lotion with Coconut Oil and Calendula Oil is an all-natural and organic lotion made with the best ingredients for your baby including Kakadu Plum, Calendula, Aloe Leaf Juice, Shea Butter, Chamomile, Cacao Seed Butter, Coconut Oil, and Cranberry Seed Oil. It is lightweight, hydrating and helps smooth sensitive skin and protects it from eczema and irritation. A pediatrician created and dermatology tested moisturizing lotion that’s why you can trust that it is non-toxic, clean and pure, made from USA and Australia.
5. Eczema Friendly Moisturizer – With Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter – Gluten Free
BareBaby Organics premium moisturizing lotion caters you the safest lotion that you could ever have for your young ones. It is a natural organic skincare with nourishing aloe vera, coconut oil, chamomile, jojoba and more. Made for all skin types even those with eczema and extra dry skin. It is surely safe without sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances or dyes. No greasy residue because it is lightweight and absorbs quickly. Test on a small area before applying it liberally.
6. California Baby Everyday Calendula Lotion
Prevent what triggers your baby’s eczema with the allergy tested California Baby Everyday Calendula Lotion, safe and vegan lotion ideal for anyone with dry, sensitive skin, eczema or allergy concerns. It is gluten-free, soy-free, oat-free and nut-free (except for coconut) with no harsh chemicals. Keep your baby calm because it also has a calming French lavender scent and clary sage essential oils. This lotion is a trusted brand since 1995, a powerful moisturizer made with plant-based emollients and aloe vera. It is non-greasy and absorbs quickly, leaving a softer and more comfortable skin.
National Eczema Association Accepted Baby Lotions
Products eligible for the NEA Seal of Acceptance™ are those that have been created or intended for use by persons with eczema or severe sensitive skin conditions and that have satisfied the NEA Seal of Acceptance™ criteria. Products with this seal are trustworthy because they have undergone several tests and have complied with the standard ingredients needed to help your babies with their skin concerns.
1. Gentle Baby Skin Care with Hyaluronic Acid
Off the checklist! Check out CeraVe Baby Lotion with NEA Seal Acceptance and fight off dryness and other possible triggers to eczema. Keep your baby’s skin moisturized with this baby lotion and provide him/her with 24 hour hydration. Formulated with essential ceramides (1,3,6-11) that help restore and maintain natural protective barrier. It’s paraben, phthalates and fragrance-free so worry no more with skin irritations and reactions.
2. Cetaphil Baby Eczema Calming Lotion
Calm your mind with this Cetaphil Baby Eczema Calming lotion that will surely soothe, replenish and protect your baby’s delicate skin recommended for very dry and eczema-prone skin with long lasting relief. It’s additive free, nothing more nothing less, soap free, paraben and fragrance-free plus it’s hypoallergenic. It is safe for babies as young as 3 months.
3. Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal for Eczema Relief
Soothe your baby’s dry and itchy skin caused by eczema with Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream. This cream combines natural colloidal oatmeal and dimethicone to intensely moisturize skin and prevent the recurrence of extra dry skin. It also strengthens skin moisture barrier for protection against eczema. It is pediatrician recommended and clinically proven to reduce itching and irritation. Definitely safe for you little one because it is steroid-,fragrance-, paraben and phthalate- free so it’s really gently on your baby’s skin.
4. Baby Dove Fragrance FreeLotion
5. Exederm Hydrating Baby Lotion
6. Weleda White Mallow Body Lotion
Weleda White Mallow Body Lotion is a mild, fragrance-free lotion made with 95% organic ingredients that moisturizes skin and relieves itchy skin due to dryness. A more velvety soft skin is definitely what your baby deserves. The white mallow and pansy extracts is what soothes baby’s dry skin and promote the development of healthy-looking skin. It is formulated with coconut oil to leave a cooling effect while it replenishes your baby’s skin from the inside because of the borage seed oil and organic safflower seed oil, rich in essential fatty acids that support and improve your baby’s delicate skin barrier. It is also suitable for all skin types of all ages: for babies, children and even adults.
7. Theraplex Clear Emollient Lotion – Oil Moisturizer for After Shower or Bath
Why not choose a lotion that is gentle enough not only for your baby’s skin but for the whole family? You can try Theraplex Clear Emollient Lotion recommended by dermatologists. It is a non-comedogenic, paraben-, fragrance-, preservatives- , lanolin and gluten free product gentle enough for daily use. This product is also proven to stimulate the formulation of essential lipids that surround and protect skin cells and clinically shown to relieve eczema and psoriasis. This product is made for those with extra sensitive skin. It seals the skin to stop excessive moisture loss and increase internal moisture and softness and at the same time restore a visibly healthier looking skin.
There is literally no ‘best’ or ‘perfect’ baby lotion for our little ones because apart from a mother’s preference, we have our own experts like pediatricians, dermatologists, immunologists and allergists and they all have different recommendations that are based on our baby’s skin condition. It is alarming for all moms most especially for the first-time moms out there whose babies are having this skin condition, but good thing we are in the internet age and we have social media that acts as a platform to raise awareness and provide some guidelines and tips on how we can provide comfort for little ones.
We have a lot of options now in choosing baby products and skincare to make sure our babies achieve not just healthy-looking skin but, in fact, healthy skin state. It is always best to consult with a doctor before trying a certain product, but let’s not limit ourselves with that, because we now have organic skincare products available, we just have to look into each product further and make use of our resources to do a fine research about it.