Doesn’t it wear you out when your baby is crying for more than an hour or two? You already gave everything, fed him, caress him and sing him lullabies yet it’s not working. It could be caused by other more serious factors or It could be that your little one is suffering from colic.
Well maybe it’s about time you try putting him in the best baby swing since it provides soothing motion keeping the baby calm. It is believed that this calming measure is one of the safest and effective ways to treat colicky babies.
Baby swing is said to be one of the most important necessities for newborns. So let’s go ahead and dig deeper to find out what are the best baby swings for colic, qualities we should look for and check out which option would fit them best.
Product Comparison Table
There are lot options to choose from when looking for the best baby swing for our little one but below are some of the products that stand out among others:
What is Colic?
Colic normally starts between the 3rd and 6th week after birth, it is common to newborns and according to study, 40% of all infants suffer from this condition. Colicky babies cry more than usual, it’s really frustrating and tiring for parents, that they even wanted to jive with the crying for 3 hours or more. It happens often in the evening, hours of crying on a regular basis.
You don’t have to worry because it goes away on its own by the time when the baby turns 3 or 4 months old. But how can you keep up with your uneasy crying baby for months? What can you do to make you and your baby’s life easier?
There are no proven treatments yet for colic but there are some techniques that can help soothe your colicky baby:
- Tummy time: lay your baby on their tummy. This can be made easy if you have a nice baby playmat and gym for your little one.
- Carry your baby: this can reduce colic in the evening since holding your baby close to you is comforting
- Practice repetitive motion: Keeping your baby in motion will help soothe colic.
Now with these techniques, the importance of having the best baby swing comes in; as everything mentioned above can be done easily when you have one.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Baby Swing for Colic
- Motion Control: One of the best ways to treat colic is through soothing, calming and repetitive motions. It all revolves around the baby’s comfort, so in choosing a swing it is better to look for one with an adjustable speed setting in order to know which speed will provide him/her with the best comfort.
- Power Source: Most baby swings are battery operated, and sometimes it would even cost you too much on battery. You can opt to choose one that runs on direct AC current or better if it runs on both so you could use it anywhere with or without batteries.
- Reclining Seat: Keeping you baby in the right position is a great help to soothe colic. Just like speed controls, adjustable reclining seat will help you easily figure out what position is the most soothing for your baby. It is also recommended to choose one that has a removable head and body support for added security and so your child can outgrow it.
- Material: Comfort is one of the priorities we should look after in choosing the best baby swing for colic. It is important to make sure that the swing is made of durable material especially for its frame, usually it’s better if it has a steel frame with anti-slip feet for added safety. You wouldn’t want a swing with a moving body. Also check for the cradle seat, because it needs to be well padded to make sure our babies are seating or sleeping in cozy and comfortable swing.
- Additional Features: Another helpful feature for baby’s comfort is the music that can be played when your child is in the swing. Babies respond to music as well as movement. It somehow soothes and calms them. Not only that, other features such as Bluetooth control, weight-sensing technology, 2-way motion, SlimFold technology and many more are also available. These are not considered as the most important quality of a baby swing but it could help in terms of convenience.
How to Pick the Best Baby Swing for Colic
- Age and Weight of the baby: We should know first the support capacity of a baby swing to make sure that our babies will be safe and secure when on a swing. We can also check the product specifications to make sure that the one we are looking at will actually fit our babies.
- Type of Baby Swing: With the emergence of technology a lot of options are now available when it comes to baby swings. It’s not just a typical baby swing any longer because it comes with additional features. In choosing the best, you need to have first a check list on what qualities or features would be convenient for you and your baby. Like if you’re an on-the-go mom, of course look for something portable and easy carry or if not go for something bigger, one you could place near a power source.
- Price and Value: There is a wide-range of baby swings available from cheaper to expensive ones, one that stands out the most and a good enough one. Of course we all want to get what we paid for, it would be a big bonus if we got a cheaper one that provides all that you’re looking for in a baby swing. So make sure to do a research and spend your money wisely.
Take note of the frequently asked questions when buying the best baby swing for colic:
Q: How does a swing help in soothing a baby?
A: The back-and –forth or head-to-toe motion of a swing has a soothing effect keeping the baby calm.
Q: What qualities of a baby swing should I focus on when buying one?
A: Above anything else it’s always safety first. You should focus of product specification and check for the weight limit that a particular swing could support to make sure that it can swing your baby safely.
Q: How long can I leave my baby on the swing?
A: It is recommended to limit your baby’s swing time by two 30-minutes per day or 1 hour a day so that your baby can still have some floor time, such as crawling, pulling-up and cruising to develop his/her motor skills.
Top 12 Best Baby Swing Set Product Reviews
1. Sorbus Baby Crib Cradle
Tired of the traditional crib and wanted something more relaxing and stylish? Then Sorbus Hanging Cradle Bassinet might be what you are looking for. It is made from 100% handmade cotton to keep your little one comfortable while you sing him lullabies to sleep. It’s a bohemian style macramé net that will perfectly match almost any style for your home’s interior. It’s also lightweight and portable so you can move your baby from room-to-room or maybe to the living room conveniently. Its support capacity is for babies weighing 22 lbs. and below. Keep it stylish without losing your baby’s comfort.
2. WBPINE Baby Cradle Swing, Automatic Baby Bassinets Swing Crib for Baby Boy and Girls with Music
Are you currently looking for something upgraded, something that provides convenience and safety at the same? Why not check out WBPINE Baby Cradle Swing and keep it easy and simple when putting your baby to sleep. It features 3 gear swing angle adjustable with a remote control that you can use 5 meters away from the swing. You can set and adjust it to always swing or regular swing and even set a time so it would stop automatically, such convenience is within your reach. What catches most moms’ attention is the 12 soothing music you could play, it even has a USB port so you could play your baby’s favorite song. This is a really helpful tool to calm your baby and stop him/her from crying.
3. Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing, Linus
Do you have too much baby stuff at home that you’re already having problems where to put the baby swing? Worry no more because Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing is perfectly designed to save space, it’s lightweight, compact and easy to store perfect for moms like you. It also features adjustable leg height to easily transition from compact to full size, not only that, you can also adjust the swing speed, perfect for baby’s different moods. It also has an overhead toy bar with two soft toys that provides visual stimulation. It can support weights from 5.5-25 lbs.
4. Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing
Need a break? Then get the best seller swing perfect for a colicky baby and give your arms a break. Nothing beats the soothing effect of Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing. This customizable infant swing lets you choose the perfect calming combination for your baby’s comfort, from 6 speed swings, 16 soothing songs and nature sounds to its 2-way swing option (side-to-side or head-to-toe). Features that will sooth your baby’s ever changing needs.
5. Ingenuity Power Adapt Portable Swing – Braden
On –the- go moms should definitely check Ingenuity Power Adapt Baby Swing because it easy to assemble and portable enough that you can easily fold and move it from room-to-room or even bring it when traveling. It’s compact and lightweight. It was made simple, powered for your convenience because you can use batteries when on-the-go or have it plugged in when near a power source. Keep your baby comfy with its 5 swing speeds that you could choose from and even set a timer from 30, 40 and 60 minutes. This is perfect for colicky babies because it will extra comfort with its extra plush seat with removable head and body support.
6. Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing, Percy
Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing migh be your dream swing for little one. The swing that will ensure your baby’s comfort all of the time. It features a cozy seat combined with plush body support and a three position recline to offer optimal comfort for baby. It has 2 modes of use: seat and a sleeper, the perfect swing to use when your baby feels uneasy anytime and anywhere because of its 2-way power source for your convenience; you can either use a battery or plug it in when near a power source. You can keep your baby in a safe and comfortable spot to rest in this dreamglider even when reclining the seat because of its easy, one-hand motion.
7. Bright Starts Zig Zag Zebra Portable Swing with WhisperQuiet Technology
Maximize your baby’s comfort and safety with Zig Zag Zebra Portable Swing. It features WhisperQuiet technology to make sure it won’t wake your baby up everytime it swings. It has deep cradling seat and 2-reclining position to make sure your baby is comfortably resting in his swing. You can also choose from 6 back-and-forth speeds according to your baby’s liking. As for safety, it has 5 point harness and non-slip feet to keep its stability when swinging. Your baby can also outgrow this swing because of its weight-sensing technology, so even when the baby gets bigger and heavier the speed will remain consistent so as your baby’s comfort.
8. Fisher-Price Elephant Safari Cradle n Swing
Put your baby to sleep with less hassle. Check out Fisher-Price Elephant Safari Cradle ‘n Swing. It is a soothing baby swing that moves in two ways: side-to-side and head-to-toe perfectly made to suit your baby’s comfort. SmartSwing technology was used so it could offer six different swing speeds from low to high. You can also choose from 16 songs and nature sounds to play for additional comfort. It makes a cozy baby happy and relaxed, that he/she easily falls asleep in its two position recline and deep, comfy seat.
9. Ingenuity Boutique Collection Swing ‘n Go Portable Swing – Bella Teddy
Keep your uneasy baby cozy and comfortable in this Ingenuity Swing n’ Go Portable Swing, made from premium, luxurious soft fabrics to pamper you little one in softness. Calm him and put him to sleep easily in this fully-loaded compact swing as you do other work at home since you can choose from its 3 timer settings (30,40 and 60 minutes). Don’t worry about the swing sound because it has an extra quiet motor instead you could choose and play the swing’s nature sounds and soothing melodies. Swing your baby in contented comfort and do other chores.
10. 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing
Looking for a swing that can help you calm your baby? How about a swing that has 5 speeds and motions? Yes, there’s one available now. It is the 4Moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing. Providing you with lots of option for motions to help you find the best one to soothe and calm your baby. You can also control it through your compatible smartphones through Bluetooth, from music , to volume, to motion ,and to speed. You can also adjust the seat recline for maximum comfort and keep your baby entertained with the overhead toys such as rattle, crinkle, mirror and reversible toy balls.
11. Bright Starts Whimsical Wild Portable Compact Automatic Swing with Melodies
If you’re looking for a simple and compact baby swing then this Whimsical Wild Portable Swing will answer all your needs. Swing, sway and rock-a-bye with this easy to assemble and pack up portable automatic swing. It will not only save you time when setting up, this mini swing is also a space saving one, just fold it then you can easily store it in a bag and bring it for travel. It has 2 reclining position to soothe and relax your baby. You can also make him smile because of the 2 take-away toys, so when your baby gets attach they can be detached. It features weight-adapting technology to make sure your baby will still feel the same comfort when swinging even when they grow older. And worry not about the swinging noise it would make because it is made with WhisperQuiet technology as well.
12. Fisher-Price Deluxe Take-Along Swing & Seat
How do 2-in-1 combo and an on-the-go product sounds? A soothing swing and a stationary infant seat that you can bring anywhere are made possible by Fisher-Price Deluxe Take-Along Swing & Seat. Convenience for moms is possible without losing their babies’ comfort. It has 6 different swing speeds, calming vibrations and soothing sounds to make sure your baby is relaxed. It’s easy-fold frame makes it easier for moms to setup, move and stash away plus, its removable seat pad is machine washable to make cleanup a breeze.
There are no right or wrong choices that can be defined by the book when it comes to choosing the best baby swing for colic. It will always vary depending on your baby’s needs, comfort and convenience as well as yours. You just have to thoroughly balance everything, to make sure that the price meets value. You wouldn’t want to pay for something that would easily go to waste, so do some research, read more reviews and learn more about the product and see what you should be looking for. It should be in the format of needs over wants, or better if needs and wants meet halfway. It’s okay to spend some time to research than be filled with regrets later for something that is not really worth it.