Who doesn’t love the natural goodness that natire has to offer? Health fads come and go, but products that are sourced out naturally are still used extensively and even introduced to family, friends and most especially the newest member in the family!
One of these natural products that are always the talk of the town now is essential oils, and these are compound extracted from plants, capturing the plant’s scent and flavor or ‘essence’, used as aromatherapy for relaxation and calming the mind in the form of inhalation or a rub. It used widely used to help babies get a good night’s sleep, improve poor moods and soothe anxiety. But are essential oils really safe for our little one?
Read on and find out more about the best essential oils for babies, and get some tips and tricks to easily put your little one to sleep.
- The 16 Best Hand Sanitizer Wipes to Buy 2020 | Reviews & Guide
- Best Transformer Toys for Kids 2020 – Review & Buying Guide
- Top 12 Best Baby Shampoo for Cradle Cap – Best Reviews Guide 2020
- The 12 Best Food Processors Blenders & Steamers for Baby
- The 15 Best Smart Watches For Kids – Review & Buying Guide 2020
- The 16 Best Baby Jumper Walker Buying Guide & Reviews 2020
What to Consider in Choosing the Best Essential Oil for Baby
Essential oils are helpful because in encourages sleep, calm anxiety and relieve symptoms of colic but it should not be used on babies younger than 3 months old. Since babies have delicate skin, always opt for 100% natural pure essential oils to prevent allergic reactions.
Know the ingredients as much as your child’s allergies because not all-naturally derived ingredients will not cause any allergic reaction. Below are some of the ingredients that are proven to be safe and effective for babies:
Chamomile : It relieves the symptoms of colic and traditionally used to treat insomnia in both babies and adults.
Distilled Lemon: It helps lift energy and mood and great for a post-nap wakeup call. This is recommended for those with skin allergies because it doesn’t cause skin irritation.
Dill: It helps soothe indigestion and also calms the baby.
Eucalyptus: It is known as natural expectorant that helps unclog congestion, and highly recommended during the cold winter months.
Lavender : It helps relax babies and encourages sleep. It can also be used on insect bites to reduce itchiness.
Mandarin: It has calming effects like lavender and you can apply it directly to the skin without causing skin irritation.
Essential oils are liquid in form so it is recommended to go for a roll-on type or those that are packed with euro style dropper for controlled dispensing. You can also keep using those that are packed traditionally just double check the cap to ensure that it child resistant so as to prevent ingestion.
Tips and Tricks before Using an Essential Oil
- Perform a patch test, on your baby’s arms or legs. If no reaction occurs after several minutes, then the oil is okay to use.
- Consult a health professional before administering oils to ensure the safety of your baby and to know the recommended brands or essential oils suitable for your little one.
- Follow dilution ratios according your little one’s age. You could also use a V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex as a carrier oil to minimize irritation. Below are the dilution recommendations:
AGES 0-1 : 8 drops of carrier oil to 1 drop of essential oil
AGES 2-6 : 3 drops of carrier oil to 1 drop of essential oil
AGES 7 -11 : 1 drop of carrier oil to 1 drop of essential oil
- Diffusers should be used in an open and well-ventilated area.
- Keep essential oils especially undiluted one out of reach of children.
Q: Are essential oils safe for use on children?
A: Yes, however caution should be used since essential oils are heavily concentrated. If you are planning to use one for your baby it recommended to get the approval of a health professional to ensure safety.
2. Q: What essential oils are recommended for babies?
A: Chamomile, Lemon, Dill, Mandarin, Eucalyptus and Lavender are the most common oils recommended for babies because such oils do not cause skin irritations but again, it is best to consult with your doctor to know the best essential oil for your baby.
3. Q: Which is more convenient to use topical essential oils or diffusers?
A: Topical essential oils are more convenient to use, because there are roll-on types that you can bring anywhere to calm your little one by simply applying it on his skin.
Top 20 Best Essential Oils for Babies and Kids
1. Plant Therapy KidSafe Sweet Slumber Synergy Essential Oil 10 mL (1/3 oz) 100% Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade
Plant Therapy KidSafe Sweet Slumber is the first-ever line of essential oil made especially for the whole family. It is made from pure undiluted essential oils of Cedarwood Himalayan, Ho Wood, Orange Sweet , Chamomile Roman and Vetiver. Simpy use dilute to 2-3% with your favorite Plant Therapy carrier oil and apply on the back or chest before bedtime to help your little one have a good night’s sleep. You can also use a few drops for bubble bath or shampoo for a relaxing nighttime bath.
– Contains 100% undiluted essential oils
– Easy to use
– Calming and relaxing for the body
– Allergic reaction may occur from diffusing
2. Slumber & Sleep Essential Oil Lavendar Blend Roll-on. Gentle & Safe Aromatherapy for Baby and Toddler Bedtime
Care for your baby, toddler or kid by using Oilogic Essential Oil Care. It’s made with 100% Lavender and chamomile oil which are best known for its soothing and calming effect. Simply roll on a generous amount to your little’s ones back, neck, chest or feet and you can easily re-apply it without the hassle of spilling. No animal testing was conducted and it’s free of any synthetic perfumes.
– Contains 100% pure essential oils
– Cruelty free product
– Free of parabens, petroleum, phthalates, sulfates, gluten, DEA , dyes and artificial colors
– The container easily shatters when dropped
– Recommended for +6 month old babies
3. Mykel + Violet – 100% USDA Certified Organic Baby Massage Oil,
Calming Blend, Moisturizes Newborn Baby’s Delicate Skin, Made with Avocado oil, Lavender oil and other Organic Essential Oils
Mykel + Violet Baby Massage Oil is made with pure organic Marjoram, Cedarwood, Sweet Orange and Lavender essential oils. It’s free from chemicals, fragrance petroleum and mineral oils to make sure it’s pure and safe on your little one’s delicate skin. This oil will also heal the skin from dryness and irritation, keeping it moisturized and nourished. Achieve that natural glow with the best ingredients from mother nature!
– Pure and safe on baby’s skin
– Soothes and hydrates skin
– USDA Certified
– Strong smell
4. Frida Baby Breathefrida Vapor Bath Drops
Free your little one from the discomfort brought by cold and flu, use Frida Baby Breathefrida Vapor Drops to bath water or diffuser for good night’s sleep. Keep your baby calm, deliver cold and flu season comfort with organic eucalyptus and lavender oils. This is also recommended for age 3 months and up.
– Soothing vapors for old and flu
– For use in bath or diffuser
– Organic formula
– Pretty small bottle
5. Mambino organics Mommy and Baby Calming Aromatherapy Oil
Mambino Organics Mommy and Baby Aromatherapy Oil is a pure essential oils of lavender and chamomile. It will help promote calmness, to ensure a good night’s sleep. It’s a 2-in-1 essential oil because not only you can use it to nurse your little one, it is also suitable for mommies-to-be to relive nausea and morning sickness.
– Pure organic essential oils
– Sweet aromatherapy scent
– Relieves nausea and morning sickness
– Oil easily spills from the bottle
6. Organic Calendula Oil for Babies, Real Calendula Essential Oil, Calendula Massage Oil Moisturizer, Hypoallergenic
Looking for an oil created for your baby’s sensitive skin? Check out Shoosha Organic Calendula Oil for your little one. It’s free from synthetic, chemical and other hidden ingredients perfect for baby’s delicate skin. It’s a blend of soothing oils infused with Calendula petals for a 24-hour moisture. Use this all-purpose oil from head to toe and calm cradle caps, super dry and irritated skin.
– All purpose oil: use as moisturizer, massage oil, or after swim or bath oil
– Organic and Pure
– Provides 24-hour moisture
– Essential oil for topical use only
7. Soothing Baby Oil with Essential Avocado, Apricot, Grapeseed, Jojoba Oils –
Best for Newborns, Infants, Babies & Adults with Sensitive Skin
– Pure and safe on baby’s skin
– Plant based ingredients
– Lightly scented
– Unnoticeable therapeutic effect
8. Motherlove Birth & Baby Oil (2 oz.) Gentle Moisturizer for Baby’s Dry Skin & Scalp and for Perineal Massage During Birth
Motherlove Birth & Baby Oil is another cruelty free product that you and your baby can use because of it has lavender blossoms that bring calming and soothing effects. It is made from 2 simple blend ingredients: apricot and lavender oil. Use it for labor and infant massage or to moisturize baby’s skin and scalp.
– Relaxing relief
– USDA certified
– Multi-use ( infant massage, labor massage , moisturizer for baby’s skin)
– Thick in consistency
9. Natural Skin Moisturizer with Vitamin E, Sunflower and Lavender Essential Oils – Infant Rash, Cradle Cap, and Eczema Treatment
If you are looking for the best essential oil for your little one, fret no more and check out Organic Calendula Baby Massage Oil. Keep your baby’s skin happy and healthy as this oil delivers intense moisture and nourishment and at the same time protect it from dryness, irritation, rashes and even eczema. It is made for babies, because it’s made from organic ingredients like calendula, apricot, lavender and sunflower oils for improved sleep.
– Helps alleviate gas
– Improves sleep
– Pure and safe for babies
– Not hypoallergenic
10. Mommy Care Organic Baby Bath Oil Pure Natural Eco Essential Oils, Calming, Hydrating, and Nourishing Bathing Oil to Restore Your Baby’s Natural Skin Moisture
Mommy Care Organic Baby Bath Oil is another product you should check out, because it is made of pure natural eco essential oils that are calming, hydrating, nourishing and soothing, perfect for baby’s gentle skin. It contains organic ingredients like Calendula, Jojoba, Chamomile, Lavender, Sunflower and Grape seed oil for optimum skin protection. Use it on warm bath or rub it directly on your baby’s skin.
– Free of mineral oil, paraben, SLS and petrochemicals
– Made from certified organic ingredients
– Provides skin protection
– A bit pricey but worth it
11. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Baby Oil Rub
– Made from natural and certified organic ingredients
– Helps baby sleep better
– Protects baby’s delicate skin
– Oil is thick in consistency
12. Night Night- Sleep Spray for Kids, Lavender + Chamomile Aromatherapy,
Calming Lavender Oil for Kids, Kid Safe Essential Oils, Bedtime Natural Sleep Spray for Kids
Night Night Aromatherapy Mist is perfect for toddlers. This is an all-natural sleep spray made from natural essential oils such as lavender and chamomile. Get you little to sleep easily because this blend has therapeutic calming benefits. This will also help reduce anxiety and worries, and promotes calmness especially during mood swings. No harmful chemicals or ingredients were used in formulation so it’s safe for you and your little one.
– All-natural bedtime spray
– Improves sleep quality
– Calming and soothing scent
– Scent doesn’t lasts long
13. Plant Therapy Essential Oils Sniffle Stopper Synergy
If you’re looking for an essential oil for respiratory relief, then you shouldn’t miss Kidsafe’s Snifffle Stopper Essential Oil for your toddler. Strengthen your kid’s respiratory system with just a few drops or blend it for a nose and chest rub. It can help ease congestion and provide sinus and allergy relief. It is made of 100% pure, undiluted essential oils and cruelty free, made especially for children.
– Provides allergy relief and clear congestion
– USDA Certified Organic
– Extra drops may be needed for a stronger scent
14. Edens Garden Bee Happy”OK For Kids” Essential Oil Synergy Blend, 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade
Edens Garden Bee Happy Essential Oil is made for you and your toddler, because this synergy blend offers a vibrant aroma, made from 100% pure ingredients that will help improve mood, soothe anxiety and stress and increase energy. It is also free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates fillers, preservatives, fragrances and other synthetics so it is safe for the whole family. Each oil’s is GC/MS tested to ensure that its therapeutic valu and purity is maintained.
– Vegan and cruelty-free product
– Made from 100% pure essential oils
– Free of parabens, phthalates, gluten and synthetic fragrances
– A bit pricey for the bottle content
15. Edens Garden Sound Asleep”OK For Kids” Essential Oil Synergy Blen
Say goodbye to counting sheep and say hello to a better sleep with this Sound Asleep Synergy from Edens Garden. It has an aroma of sweet citrus to help your little one have a good night’s sleep. This synergy blend is a mix of Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Grapefruit, Damiana, Cistus and Osmanthus. You can use this with a diffuser or dilute 1% in a scent free lotion for a soorhing before-bed rub.
– 100% made from raw ingredients
– Helps improve sleep
– Vegan and cruelty-free
– A bit pricey for the bottle content
16. Prime Natural Sleep & Relaxation Essential Oil Blend
Is your baby having terrors at night? Help him relax and sleep well, through Prime Natural Sleep & Relaxation Essential Oil Blend. Calm the mind naturally with this oil made from pure, natural, unfiltered ingredients such as Lavender Bulgaria, Clary Sage, Copaiba, Balsam, Marjoram, and Roman Chamomile. It is also GC/MS tested to ensure purity and therapeutic grade without any synthetic chemicals. It packaged with euro style dropper for controlled dispensing.
– Improves sleep quality
– Use it in diffuser or as a rub to relieve anxiety and stress
– Purity tested
– Strong lavender scent
17. Lavender Essential Oil – 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Lavender Oil
Healing Solutions Lavender Essential Oil provides a sweet fresh floral herb scent to promote a peaceful sleep or relaxed soothing atmosphere that you and your child can use. Purity is guaranteed in every drop because it undergoes GC/MS testing and for transparency, results are posted. Worry no more about spilling, because it is packaged with child resistant caps. You can use it in through diffusion or aromatherapy to calm the mind and relieve stress.
– 100% pure therapeutic grade lavender oil
– Purity guaranteed
– Calms the mind and relieves stress
– Weak lavender fragrance
18. Plant Therapy KidSafe Immune Boom Synergy Pre-Diluted Essential Oil Roll-On
Plant Therapy KidSafe Immune Boom Synergy is perfect for kids to help them develop and a healthier immune system. This is easy to use because it’s a roll-on type of essential oil so you can simply apply this on your child’s back, neck, chest or feet with spilling. It is 100% pure made of Lemon, Palmarosa, Dill, Petitgrain, Copaiba and Frankincense therapeutic grade essential oils.
– Kid safe, recommended for children 2 years old and up
– Made of 100% therapeutic grade essential oils
– Easy to apply
– Not hypoallergenic
19. Edens Garden Up & At ‘Em”OK For Kids” Essential Oil Synergy Blend
Eden Garden Up & At ‘Em Essential Oil Synergy Blend will help your little one have the energy needed for the day because it improves mood, soothes stress and anxiety and reduces fatigue. It is a refreshing mix of Lemon, Sweet Orange, Lime, Lavender, Cedarwood, Spearmint, Vetiver and Osmanthus to gently energize your little one. Enjoy it with a diffuser or topically using a carrier oil.
– Improves mood, reduces fatigue and soothes stress and anxiety
– 100% vegan and cruelty free
– Pure, safe and effective ingredients
– A bit pricey for the bottle content
20. Plant Therapy Essential Oils Nighty Night Synergy 100% Pure
Plant Therapy Essential Oils Nighty Night Synergy is a perfect way to relax your little one before bedtime. Simply apply topically on the chest 30 minutes before bedtime to calm him down and make him feel sleepy. It is 100% pure kid safe made from essential oils such as Lavender, Marjoram, Cedarwood, Clary Sage Chamomile Roman, Atlas and Blue Tansy. You can also dilute in bubble bath for a soothing night time soak.
– Calming aromatherapy for kids
– 100% pure and natural ingredients
– Vegan and GC/MS tested
– Smells nice but not so effective in terms of better sleep
The best essential oil for you baby will not only soothe and calm their own moods but also yours because most encourages and improves sleep quality. It is a good way to help them relax naturally in the comfort of your arms. Essential oils are beneficial for child’s health, you just need to use certain precautions before using one. Seeking a health professional’s approval is highly recommended in order to ensure the health of our little one.