Hygiene is a massive part of our daily routine. Especially now that viruses have evolved and are believed to be amplified during cold and flu season. That is why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended washing your hands with soap and water several times a day to kill all those microbes.
Still, of course, there are times when you cannot easily wash your hands with water and soap-like when you’re traveling, so hand sanitizers are a viable option.
Read on and find out more about the best hand sanitizer for travel so you can protect the whole family from potentially harmful microbes.
Things to Consider in Choosing the Best Hand Sanitizer for Travel
Opt for hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol because most are clinically proven to kill and inactivate harmful microbes. Hand sanitizers without this amount of concentration merely reduce the growth of germs rather than killing them outright.
Nothing is wrong with alcohol-based sanitizers; no doubt it kills germs and bacteria. Just be mindful of the concentration because the more concentrated it is, the less gentle it is on the skin, especially for babies and kids.
You can opt for a natural or organic hand sanitizer that is pediatrician and dermatologist tested to ensure you get the protection needed for your child’s skin and keep from external microbes present in the environment.
Say no to the following ingredients:
- Synthetic fragrances
Hand sanitizers should come in pocket size or one that your kids can easily carry around, so they can use it conveniently when they’re outside or on a trip. Avoid bulky hand sanitizers, as this will take up a lot of weight and space in your toddler’s bag or luggage.
Check if the price is just right for your travel size hand sanitizer. It could be too expensive for its price but provide pretty much the same protection you need as other brands. Read reviews and recommendations so you can get what you paid for.
Top 10 Best Hand Sanitizer
1. PURELL Advanced Hand Sanitizer Variety Pack
Purell Advanced Hand Sanitizer will help you keep your family healthy and clean. This is specially formulated with four conditioners to help soothes and maintain moisture. Bring it anywhere because it comes in handy; it is a convenient way to kill germs and stay healthy. It is perfect for frequent use with mild formula, no triclosan, parabens, phthalates, preservatives, and harsh ingredients.
- Kills most illness-causing germs
- Hands feel soft even after use
- Travel size
- Cap doesn’t close tightly and the sanitizer leaks
2. Instant Hand Sanitizer Gel with Moisturizers and Vitamin E 2oz Travel
Gently clean your hands instantly with Assured Instant Hand Sanitizer. It is available in squeeze travel-size bottles, great for your little ones. This sanitizer gel has moisturizers like aloe vera, which effectively kills germs without soap or water, preventing bacteria. It is gentle on the skin, leaving a fresh, clean scent.
- Kills germs even without soap and water
- Gentle on the skin
- Leaves a fresh clean scent
3. Babyganics Alcohol-Free Foaming Hand Sanitizer
- Pediatrician and Dermatologist tested
- Fragrance free
- It doesn’t smell that nice
4. CleanWell Botanical Hand Sanitizer Spray, Original – Travel Size
Keep your little one germ-free on the go with CleanWell Botanical Hand Sanitizer Spray. It is a travel-size, alcohol-free product made from plant-based ingredients that naturally kill germs. It’s a kid-safe formula and friendly for pregnant women, gentle on the skin, and won’t sting cuts. It will leave the skin a fresh, clean scent.
- Botanical hand sanitizer
- Alcohol free with soothing moisturizing formula
- Kid safe and perfect for sensitive skin
- Bottle is too small for the price
5. Germ-X Natural Hand Sanitizer Spray, Vanilla Citrus, Travel Size
The subtle and refreshing Germ-X Natural Hand Sanitizer Spray is the perfect natural option to fight off germs. This is a plant-based alcohol formula with aloe and vitamin E so you can keep your little one’s hands and face clean and at the same time moisturizing. It is also hypoallergenic with an all-natural sweet citrus fragrance for a fresh scent.
- Dermatologist and Pediatrician tested
- Plant-based alcohol formula
- Kills germs in as little as 15 seconds
- The bottle leaks
6. Durisan Travel Hand Sanitizer Alcohol-Free
Moisturize and sanitize your baby’s little hands with Durian Travel Hand Sanitizer. It is an alcohol-free product that is long-lasting for up to 24-hour protection. Using it won’t dry your hands like conventional alcohol-based sanitizers because it is formulated with nourishing skin-conditioning oils to soothe dryness. It is safe for children and pets. This sanitizer is also odorless, fast-drying, and leaves no sticky residue.
- Alcohol free and odorless
- Fast drying
- Moisturizes skin
- Short shelf life
7. Dr. Bronner’s Hand Sanitizer – Lavender
Dr. Bronner’s Hand Sanitizer is a USDA-certified organic and vegan product that kills germs naturally. An environmentally friendly product that will cleanse dirty hands and moisturize them at the same time. It has a mild and natural lavender scent that leaves hands with a clean, fresh scent.
- Lightly scented and refreshing
- USDA certified organic
- Vegan and cruelty free
- Expensive but worth it
8. Honest Hand Sanitizer Spray, Lavender with Alo
Effectively clean germs off your little one’s hand with Honest Hand Sanitizer Spray. It kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria without harming children’s sensitive skin. It has antiseptic and antimicrobial protection properties made with plant-derived ingredients, with soothing botanicals to help reduce drying, redness, and chapping. Bring this anywhere you go and be protected from germs and bacteria.
- Made without synthetic fragrances, parabens, Triclosan and Benzalkonium Chloride
- No-fuss packaging
- Naturally scented with essential oils
- Not hypoallergenic
9. Everyone Hand Sanitizer Gel, Coconut and Lemon
Everyone Hand Sanitizer Gel is a great way to protect yourself and your child from common disease-causing germs. It is made with plant-based glycerin and jojoba oil to keep hands moisturized and soft. It does not leave a sticky residue and does dry the hands. It is available in two natural scents: coconut and lemon, and peppermint and citrus.
- Made with pure essential oils
- Gluten free, non-GMO and EWG verified
- Relaxing and fresh scents
- Not recommended for those who are sensitive to odors
10. All Day Long-Lasting Hand Sanitizer Spray
Get the all-day protection for your family with All Day Long Lasting Hand Sanitizer Spray. It is hypoallergenic, with no fragrances or harmful chemicals. Use it safely for all ages on the go without posing any health risks because it is alcohol-free and 100% non-toxic. It is clinically proven to kill pathogens, and upon drying, it creates a protective barrier that repels germs and bacteria for up to 24 hours on the skin.
- Alcohol-free and non-toxic
- Great for all skin types
- Mildly scented
- Product is too small for its price
11. Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand Wipes
Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand Wipes will help quick clean-ups more conveniently. It has an antibacterial skin formula that kills 99.9% of germs with a scent of a tropical splash. It has a wet lock seal packaging to keep wipes moist. These wipes are great for all skin types because it is hypoallergenic and it is enriched with skin-conditioning aloe for added skin moisture.
- 20 wipes per pack (10 packs in total)
- Convenient and portable
- It’s not completely sealed
12. EO Hand Sanitizer Spray- Organic Lavender
Get the sanitizer that will provide you antiseptic with antimicrobial benefits like the EO Organic Hand Sanitizer Spray. It is made of organic lavender essential oil that naturally cleanses and soothes hands. No synthetic fragrances were used in the formula but pure essential oils. It delivers 62% organic alcohol to sanitize and keep hands smooth.
- Made of pure essential oils
- USDA certified organic
- Lavender scent is too strong
13. Babyganics Alcohol-Free Hand Sanitizer Wipes, Mandarin, 20 ct, 4 Pack, Packaging May Vary
Babyganic Alcohol-Free Hand Sanitizer Wipes is one of the perfect on-the-go hand sanitizers. It is made of an alcohol-free plant-based formula that is proven to kill 99.9% of germs. This is extra gentle on the skin and leaves hands smooth and germ-free. It is great for all skin types because of its non-allergenic ingredients, which are soothing to most sensitive hands.
- Free of alcohol, triclosan, parabens, phthalates, artificial fragrances and dyes
- Pediatrician and dermatologist tested
- Perfect for quick clean ups and convenient to use
- It’s hard to pull just one wipe out without tearing the packaging
14. Oak & Sage Homeopathic Hand Cleaner – 2oz – Softens and Cleanses Hands
- Chemical free product
- Natural moisturizer and hand cleanser
- Mild and pleasant smell
- Not hypoallergenic
15. Touchland Power Mist Hydrating Hand Sanitizer Spray Mint
Touchland Power Mist Hydrating Hand Sanitizer Spray is dermatologically tested to kill the most harmful germs. It is fast evaporating and leaves skin with no sticky residue. Use this mint-scented sanitizer spray 20 more times than traditional gel sanitizers. This product is triclosan, cruelty, and gluten-free.
- Travel Size Approved (TSA)
- No sticky residue
- No alcohol smells
- Pricey for its size
16. Bath & Body Works – ‘Fresh Picks’ Pocketbac Bundle of 5 Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer Gels
Get the Fresh Picks Collection of Bath & Body Works Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer Gel. It is lightly scented and made of natural yet powerful germ killer ingredients that leave hands soft. It cleans hands and kills germs without water. This collection consists of 5 bottles of different scents like Cucumber Melon, Peach, Bellini, Crack Cherry, and Sweet Pea.
- Skin-softening hand sanitizer
- Made of natural ingredients
- Kills 99.9% of most common germs
- Available scents may vary
17. Hempz Triple Moisture Herbal Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer, 2.25 oz. – Scented Antibacterial Gel for Hands
Hydrate your skin while killing most germs with Hempz Triple Moisture Herbal Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer. It is concentrated with triple moisture serum that nourishes the skin and sanitizes the hands. This is safe for all ages because it’s 100% pure and natural, formulated with pure hemp seed oil intended to help improve itchiness and reduce dry, red skin. It is 100% vegan, paraben-free and gluten-free.
- Coconut oil enriched
- Triple moisture
- Kills 99.9% of germs
- Expensive for the bottle size
18. PURELL Hand Sanitizing Wipes, Alcohol Formula, Fragrance Free, 300 Count Individually Wrapped Hand Wipe
- Fragrance free
- Wrapped hand wipes so no more leaks
- Gentle on the skin
- It is not alcohol free
19. Mountain Falls Advanced Hand Sanitizer with Vitamin E and Aloe, 2 Fluid Ounce
- Sanitizes and moisturizes hands
- Cruelty free
- Free of Paraben and phthalate
- Contains alcohol for antiseptic purposes
20. Handynaps® Pre-Moistened Refreshing Hand Cleaning Wet Wipes, Individually Wrapped Bulk Buy 1000 Count
Freshen up before and after meals with Handy Naps Hand Wipes. This alcohol-free sanitizer cleans the hands gently. It is alcohol-free, biodegradable, and gentle on the skin, perfect for all ages. It is economically and individually packed for hassle-free and quick clean-ups. It also has a light, fresh lemon scent.
- Easy to carry anywhere
- Wet and not dried out
- Environment friendly
- Wipe sheets rip apart easily
21. Germ-X Hand Sanitizing Single Wipes, Individually Wrapped
Germ-X Hand Sanitizing Wipes is another product that you can opt for if you are looking for individually wrapped hand sanitizer. This kills 99.9 percent of most disease-causing germs without drying your hands. It doesn’t only cleanse hands but moisturizes the skin, perfect for on-the-go quick clean-ups.
- 100 individually wrapped wipes
- Doesn’t dry out easily
- It is not alcohol free
22. OLIKA | Minnie All Natural Hand Sanitizer | Thistle | 6 Pack
OLIKA Minnie All-Natural Hand Sanitizer in Thistle is an attractive and unique sanitizer that has 500+ sprays. Unlike other typical hand sanitizers, it doesn’t have a slimy and watery feeling that dries out the skin; instead, it’s moisturizing. This also doesn’t have a strong alcohol smell. It contains natural ingredients like aloe vera leaf juice, lemon bergamot, and spearmint oil which has a hydrating effect leaving the skin with a fresh, clean scent.
- It has twist-lock technology to prevent unexpected leaks
- Made of natural ingredient
- Unique packaging
- It has 65% ethyl alcohol
23. Aesop Resurrection Rinse-Free Hand Wash
- Lightly scented
- Smooth and fast drying
- Not tested on animals
A bit overpriced for the bottle size but worth it
14. Nano Pure Next Generation Hand Sanitizer
If you are looking for an all-day skin protectant, then check out Nano Pure Next Generation Hand Sanitizer. It stays active on your skin even after drying, so you are protected all day long. This travel-size sanitizer is non-flammable, unlike typical alcohol-based sanitizers. It also forms a protective barrier on the skin, keeping it soft and hydrated.
- Water-based so it’s safe for all ages
- Hydrates skin
Expensive for its size
25. Reusable Hand Sanitizer – Bundle Pack – Travel Size Scented Gel On
Bac-Pac Buddies Reusable Hand Sanitizer is your perfect companion when you travel. It is a convenient hand sanitizer that effectively kills 99.9% of the most common germs. This bundle pack comes with different sanitizer bag holders with cute designs so you can easily attach it to your backpack, stroller, and even key ring.
- Perfectly portable
- Effectively kills germs
- Makes sanitizing fun for kids
- Strong fragrance
Q: Are hand sanitizers toxic?
A: Most hand sanitizers have alcohol as an active ingredient, it is considered safe for use as an antiseptic but may cause dryness or mild irritation if the concentration level is high.
Q: What is the recommended concentration level for alcohol-based hand sanitizers?
A: Many studies revealed that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60 – 95% are more effective at killing germs, but having at 60% is enough, so you don’t also harm or irritate your skin.
Q: Are hand sanitizers safe for baby?
A: Generally, alcohol based products are not recommended for babies as it is too strong for skin to absorb. You can opt for hand sanitizing wipes instead or alcohol-free sanitizers because they are more gentle on the skin.
Washing hands with soap is the safest and most effective way to keep our hands clean and germ-free, but it is not possible that we can do it conveniently all the time, especially when we are outside or on a trip. That’s why it is important to choose carefully the most convenient and best travel size hand sanitizer so we can keep our hygiene even on the go.
We need to mindful of the ingredients to make sure that it wouldn’t harm sensitive skins. We can opt for one that also moisturizes so hands are will be clean, smooth and soft throughout the day. Stay away from harmful chemicals because effectively killing germs is only beneficial to our skin if it does not cause irritation and trigger any allergic reactions.