“Curly hair, don’t care!”
Being curly used to be a problem for most people, especially for children who still have sensitive scalp.One of the challenges that parents face is finding the right product for kids – one that is safe for delicate curls and can be used as often as possible. Washing your kid’s curls with normal shampoo will not cut it.
Some chemicals are notr made for children’s delicate scalp. These might be too strong and can cause irritation, dryness and could even potentially damage your child’s curls.
Well, the good thing is we are here to help solve your dilemma. That is right, so just keep on reading!
Hair Care 101
Tangles are one of the biggest problems of kids with curly hair. Simply combing them will not help and could just damage the hair and break it. You need to choose products that will help soften and condition the curls.
Here are 16 products that work best for children with curly hair:
1. SoCozy Curl Shampoo Sweet-Crème, No Frizz or Fuss, Curls Done Right
Bonus feature: Since it’s a hair care line, it also comes with a conditioner and gel-cream that you can partner with the shampoo!
2. Cantu Care for Kids Tear-Free Nourishing Shampoo, 8 Fluid Ounce
3. Fairy Tales Curly-Q Daily Kid Hydrating Shampoo – Sulfate & Paraben Free
4. SheaMoisture Mango & Carrot KIDS, Extra-Nourishing Shampoo, Orange Blossom Extract, Dry, Delicate Hair
5. Curly Q’s Curly Cutie Cleansing Cream
7. Curlykids Shampoo & Conditioner Set
8. Fresh Monster Toxin-free Hypoallergenic 2-in-1 Kids Shampoo & Conditioner, Watermelon
The Fresh Monster 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner is free from toxic ingredients like Paraben, Sulfate, Phthalates and is only made from natural botanical extracts. It comes in fruity and tropical scents such as Watermelon, Coconut and Ocean Splash which will surely leave your child’s hair smelling and feeling fresh all day. Bonus feature: It comes in a re-closeable pump bottle which makes it easy to bring during travels or family vacations.
9. Just for Me Curl Peace Ultimate Detangling Shampoo
10. Baby Conditioner and Shampoo by Lil Leona
11. Sun Bum Curls & Waves Shampoo
12. Johnson’s Tear Free Detangling 2-in-1 Toddler & Kids Shampoo & Conditioner
13. Mixed Chicks Kids ShampooKids Shampoo. This is specially formulated for children with sensitive scalps and curly or frizzy hair. Best used twice a week to preserve the hair’s natural oil, this brand comes with a variety of products that is designed for all types of curl. This fragrance, paraben and sulfate free product make the hair more manageable and easier to comb.
14. KINKY CURLY Foam Shampoo
15. Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner for Dry Damaged Hair
16. CurlFriends Cleanse Shampoo, Super Conditions Curly Hair
Tips for Caring for Curly Hair
It is challenging to maintain healthy looking curls. There is a lot to be considered and you can’t just shop for products without knowing what exactly you’re looing for. So, here are some basic tips to help you in choosing the right hair products and what to and not to do on your child’s hair.
- Know your child’s hair type and scalp condition. Does your child have a very sensitive scalp? Is her hair kinky? Frizzy? With this information, you can look for certain ingredients on products and find the right one. Most products will say that it is for all types of curls while some will be more recommended for a specific type so it’s good to keep this in mind.
- Research. In relation to the first point, find the benefits of the ingredients found on different shampoos. This will help you choose the correct type of shampoo to address the need of your kid.
- Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle the hair. This will make help in keeping the curls in place.
- Manage how often you will cleanse your kid’s hair with shampoo. While most shampoo will claim that it is okay to use it daily, you might want to consider cleansing the hair twice a week to maintain the hair’s natural moisture.
- Do not just wrap your child’s hair using a heavy towel after bath. This might cause tangles and breakage.
- Choose the right hair accessories. Using rubber bands might strip the moisture out of the hair. Use elastics that are made for children’s hair.
- Do not tie the hair tightly as this may cause breakage and damage the hair further.
- Make sure to remove all the hair accessories before your child goes to sleep. Don’t let hairpins, hairbands or other elastics remain on the hair overnight.
- Do not force combing the hair specially when it is tangled. Focus on the ends first and start detangling from there all the way up. Beginning at the roots will not only damage the hair but it might break it too. Plus it is painful to drag and pull on tangled hair.
Hair Care Essentials
Here are four basic products for hair care:
- Shampoo – used for cleansing and removing all the impurities on the hair and scalp.
- Conditioner – from the word itself, conditions the hair to make sure that it remains moisturized and looking healthy.
- Leave-On – protects the hair whole day long keeping it free from tangles and easy to comb.
- Styling Spray – helps maintain the curls keeping it in place all day long.
These are the basic items for hair care. We focused on shampoos in this article, but you can also check out the other products that offer to care for your little one’s curly hair.
It is always best to make sure that as parents, you are using the right hair products for your little ones especially if they have curly hair. There are plenty of kid-safe shampoos in the market today and they all claim to be safe for your child’s sensitive scalp, but it still pays to do some research especially on the contents of these products. Check if your child is allergic to any of these ingredients before buying and using it as a staple during bath time.
Some of these products come in sets like conditioners and styling sprays so you might also consider getting them in bundles to save money instead of buying them individually. But if you are into mixing and matching, you can opt to buy them individually. You might have a preferred brand for specific hair care products so go with it. All in all, the products mentioned in this review are the highlights of 2019 for the best shampoos for babies and toddlers with curly hair.