Discover the fun of roller skating for kids and start them young!
It is a popular way to exercise and have fun while also enjoying the health benefits it will provide your children, such as stamina, muscular strength, and endurance, balance, weight control, and even sleeps. It is a low-impact exercise that (even you) your child can do anywhere together.
Roller skating is not only beneficial for physical health, but also emotional health is improved because you can help your child build his/her self-esteem through this sport and have an intimate parent-child quality time with them that will strengthen your bond.
Read on and find out more about the best roller skates for toddlers and kids.
Types of Roller Skates
Before we proceed with the specifications we should consider in buying the best roller skates for our child, let us first familiarize ourselves with the two types of roller skates: quad skates and inline skates.
Quad skate is the “original roller skates” we typically see at indoor roller rinks. This is more conventional and usually recommended for young or beginner skaters. This has four wheels, two in the front and another two in the back.
The main difference between inline and quad skates is the positioning or alignment of the wheels. For inline skates, it’s four wheels that are aligned vertically, making it more difficult for skaters to balance. It is not always recommended for children because it could cause their ankles to buckle. However, it could also be the right skate for your child if he/she is already comfortable skating.
Things to Consider in Choosing the Best Roller Skates for Toddlers and Kids
We can ensure the safety and comfort of our child by some specifications or features added on the roller skates we are eyeing on such as :
– Ankle padding for support and to prevent any injuries on our child’s leg
– To stop for prevent your child from falling as skating requires a lot of balance
– Triple Lock System is an additional feature that you can check to ensure a secure and snug fit on your little one’s feet
Chassis construction plays an important role in your child’s safety while they’re on a roll. Opt for roller skates that are easy to control to make turns and strides. Specifically, the Torsion Beam chassis is one of the top-rated types of chassis that provides superior control; it is also adjustable to fit different sizes.
Adjustable Sizing Mechanism
It is highly recommended that you go for adjustable roller skates, especially if your kid is really the athletic type or into skating, so that it can grow in your child; it is not required, though.
Kids and toddlers are just starting to learn and improve their balance, meaning to say fast-rolling wheels are not recommended. Opt for roller skates that have ABEC-5 rating or lower, since it is intended for beginners use.
Tips and Tricks in Roller Skating
– Always check the wheel the truck tightness before use to ensure safety
– It is recommended to start indoors for first time skaters, starting on the carpet for controlled glides
– If your child has wider feet than normal, you may wish to go up a size
– You can also add a shoe insert or insole for a perfect fit
– Let your child wear thicker socks, especially if you’re breaking in the skates, preventing blisters
1. Q: What’s the difference between inline skates and quad skates?
A: Quad skates are conventional, having two wheels in the front and 2 in the back. This is typically recommended for beginners and toddlers, while inline skates have all their wheels are aligned in a single row requiring the wearer more effort in balancing.
2. Q: How do I know which size to get for my child?
A: You may check the size charts provided from a certain brand you are opting for since it may vary. If your child has a wider foot, you may choose to get one size up.
3. Q: Which are better inline skates or quad skates?
A: If your child is just starting to learn how to skate, we highly recommend quad skates for easy balance. You may also opt for inline skate if you think your child wants something challenging, but it will require your guidance as always for safety.
Roller Skates for Toddlers
1. PlayWheels Minnie Mouse Kids Glitter Roller Skates with Knee Pads – Childrens Adjustable Skates
Keep your kids active and let them roll in PlayWheels Minnie Mouse Kids Glitter Rollerskates. Perfect for toddlers because it will surely fit in their tiny little feet. This set comes with adjustable skates and protective knee pads to ensure safety. It features an adjustable screw to easily fit and adjust the skates for various junior foot sizes; no tools required! Let them show off these stylish Minie Mouse-themed skates as they have fun.
• best cheap roller skate with knee pads
• Impact-resistant PVC knee caps
• adjustable roller skate
• No lock function on the wheels
2. Fun Roll Boy’s Jr Adjustable Roller Skate
If you’re looking for a roller skate designed for your little one, check out Roller Derby’s Fun Roll. Perfect for toddlers who are starting to learn their balance and strength in a fun way. It is designed with toddlers in mind because it has a supportive boot for a better balance and a comfy padded liner to make it easy for little ones to get rolling. It features locking cam-lever buckles for easy use with no laces to tie. Its brake is positioned at the rear to help prevent your child from falling backward. Easily twist a knob to expand the skate up to 5 shoe sizes. Let the fun begin!
• No laces to tie
• Non-marking brakes in both skates
• Suitable for indoor and outdoor usage
• Sizes run small
3. Fisher-Price Grow with Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates, Pink
Looking for roller skates recommended for you toddlers aged 2 – 5? You might as well check out Fisher-Price Grow with Me 1, 2, 3 Roller Skates. This will literally grow with your child as she learns the basics of roller skating. Safely introduce this fun sport to you, little girls, without sacrificing their safety and comfort since it has 3 stages: 1- Skate-walk with one wheel locked, 2- Roll forward only, 3- Roll forward and back. Help your kids learn how to balance the easier way and let their roll start confidently.
• 3 learn-to-skate stages
• Hook and loop straps for quick and easy use
• Size-adjustable padded skates
• Designed for little girls
• Plastic wheels are a bit noise
4. WiiSHAM Fun Roll Adjustable Canvas Roller Skates with Four Piles
WiiSHAM Fun Roll Adjustable Roller Skates are perfect for looking for lightweight skates made from canvas material. These roller skates feature a torsion beam frame so our little ones can balance easily without feeling a lot of weight on their feet. Another thing that most parents like about these skates is the variety of styles for little boys and little girls from which they can choose. You can also pass it on to their sibling if they have one since it is adjustable.
• Adjustable sizing
• It has the 608Z accelerator bearings for easy balance
• Variety of designs
• Size chart is not that helpful
5. Chicago Boys Training Skate Combo, Size 1 – 4
Start your little one’s athletic career right with the Chicago Training Skates. This is a total package skate because it also includes protective gear such as knee pads, elbow pads, and helmets. This features an adjustable boot size so your child can enjoy them as beginners and still enjoy using them as they grow. It has easy-adjusting micro ratchet buckles to secure firmly onto the feet. The inner boot is also comfortable, with cushions on the legs to absorb shocks. It has a durable chassis with a smooth bearing, perfect for young beginners.
• Adjustable boot size
• Helps in balancing easily
• Bundle skates with protective gears
• A bit pricey for toddlers’ skates
6. Crazy Skates Rocket Roller Skates for Girls and Boys – Great Beginner Kids Quad Skates
Crazy Skates Rocket Roller Skates, a pretty good option if you are looking for the perfect pair for your toddler. Use this high-top sneaker-style skates either outdoors or indoors since its wheels and bearings were made of quality components. This also features solid toe stops for safe, fast, and efficient braking without sacrificing their comfort because it has soft padded collars and lined boots to ensure they enjoy a super comfy and supportive fit for their daily roles.
• High performance
• Perfect for beginners
• Urethane toe stopper – not plastic
• A bit bulky for a toddler
7. SULIFEEL Rainbow Unicorn 4 Size Adjustable Light up Roller Skates for Girls Boys for Kids
SULIFEEL Rainbow Unicorn Roller Skates is a perfect choice for your growing-up child. Stop worrying about getting another pair soon because this has a 4 size adjustable boot that easily adjusts by simply pushing the button for a perfect fit! These high-standard roller skates will let your little ones enjoy a smooth and quiet ride with their durable aluminum frame and PU wheels. You will also be entertained by its light-up bonus, which doesn’t even require batteries. Definitely, a must-have for your stylish little one.
• Special illuminating wheels
• Safe closure system
• Easy adjustable boot size
• A bit pricy but worth it
8. Otw-Cool Adjustable Roller Skates for Girls and Women, All 8 Wheels of Girl’s Skates Shine, Safe and Fun Illuminating for Kids
Otw-Cool Adjustable Roller Skates is another worthy skate that you can get for your toddler. This has 4 adjustable sizes, simply press and hold the adjustable button, then stretch the toe cap to select the most suitable size for all-day comfort. This has PU wheels for a good grip to ensure safety and stability that also light up. This features an upgraded rubber brake at the front end of each foot. Let toddlers have more fun while you watch over them.
• anti-collision design
• bearings with minimal noise
• 4 adjustable sizes
• Customers had issues with deliveries but overall quality is good
9. FireStar Youth Girl’s Roller Skate
FireStar Youth Girl’s Roller Skate is for your little fighter if you opt for a skate with a sports shoe design. This has synthetic uppers with cushioned liner and padded collar for added comfort, having a lightweight torsion beam frame so toddlers can easily maintain balance as they glide smoothly. These skates are recommended for skaters from beginner to intermediate level.
• lightweight torsion beam chassis
• non-marking to stop on both skates
• can be used indoors and outdoors
• sizing chart is not that helpful
10. PlayWheels Disney Frozen Classic Quad Roller Skates, Junior Size 1-4
• Safe stopping
• Feature popular Frozen characters: Anna and Elsa!
• Adjustable and secure
• offers no support for ankles
11. Chicago Boy’s Adjustable Quad Roller Skate, Blue/Silver
Chicago Boy’s Adjustable Quad Roller Skate offers a multi-adjust boot that grows with your toddlers as they hone their skills. This classic skate is designed for beginners; you can also adjust it four full-sized with just a push of the button. Don’t worry about comfort and support because it is all covered. Its hi-top silhouette, two-piece boot construction, padded collar, and breathable nylon mesh inner boot will make it securely fit and comfortable. It also has a semi-precision speed bearing, which is adequate for balancing.
• leading brand in the skating industry
• multi-adjust boot
• perfect for beginners
• sizes run small
Roller Skates for Kids
1. Roller Derby Girl’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller Skate
• Supportive boot and comfy padded liner
• G-force 608ZB carbon-bearing for smooth roll
• No instruction guide for adjustment
2. Kuxuan Saya Roller Skates Adjustable for Kids, with All Wheels Light up, Fun Illuminating for Girls and Ladies
Make your little girl a real shining star in these Kuxuan Saya Roller Skates, featuring 4 size adjustable skates with the coolest light-up wheels that are designed as self-generated power systems, so no need for batteries! It is also made of impact-resistant polymer plastic boot and durable PU 54mm x 32mm wheels for added durability and comfort when riding. Also, exceed your little one’s expectation in its triple secure lock because it is quick and easy to get in and out of the skate.
• 4 adjustable sizes for growing children
• 8 illuminating wheels
• Triple security lock
• Adjustable knob easily falls off
3. FireStar Youth Girl’s Roller Skate
Roller Derby Firestar is another must-have for active kids because it features a comfortable sport design boot with cushioned liner and padded collar. Let her enjoy skating without worries because it has classic laces and a power strap for a secure fit. Simply push the button to adjust the skate up to 4 shoe sizes. It has a lightweight chassis that provides excellent control for turns and strides. It also includes G-force 608ZB carbon bearings for a smooth roll.
• Non-marking toe stop on both skates
• Fits true to children’s US shoe size
• Non-adjustable skates
4. ITurnGlow Adjustable Inline Skates for Kids and Adults, Roller Skates with Featuring All Illuminating Wheels, for Girls and Boys, Men and Ladies
ITurnGlow Adjustable Inline Skates is perfect for kids who are into skating. It is made of an aluminum frame, 82A PU smooth wheels, and high-quality bearings for a smooth roll. It features a triple protection system that includes a Cam lever buckles strap and laces. Safety, comfort, and stability are safeguarded because its frame provides ankle support, and the inner boot is breathable. Let your kid be distinctive as they look cool at night because of the illuminating wheels.
• Triple protection system
• 4 adjustable sizes
• 8 illuminating wheels
• Break included only on the right shoe
5. VECHZY Comfortable Adjustable Inline Skates with Light up Wheels, Beginner Illuminating Rollerblades for Kids,
Skate smoothly in VECHZY Inline Skates. It has high elastic wear-resistant PU wheels, non-slip shock absorption to provide a better balance. It features built-in mute bearings that will allow your kid to skate more smoothly. Safety is also ensured through its triple closed system, including laces, Velcro, and high-strength buckles. Secure ankle support is also provided through its aluminum frame. Choose a roller skate that provides complete protection while your kid is having fun.
• Thick impact-resistant toe cap
• Unisex roller skates for all ages
• Triple closed system
• Sizes run smaller than expected
6. Kandy-Luscious Kid’s Roller Skates – Comfortable Children’s Skates with Fun Colors & Designs
• easy to lace and comfortable fit
• Perfect for beginners
• Breathable and durable skate boot
• footbed is narrow
7. Riedell Skates – Dart – Quad Roller Speed Skates
Roll in style with Riedell Dart Quad Roller Skate. These man-made roller skates have a high-impact composite plate with strong metal trucks for optimum support. Let kids skate in comfort in these easy-to-lace and snug-fit roller skates. This is designed for an exceptionally smooth roll which will help beginners learn easily. This also features a replaceable Midi Gripper stopper for easy braking control.
• good ankle support
• easy braking control
• comfortable fit
• unisex design
• recommended only for light skating
8. Pacer Comet Children’s Roller Skate
Get a pair of roller skates that will last you longer; check out Pacer Comet Children’s Roller Skate for your kids! It is designed for sporty children featuring a semi-cut boot design with strap and lace closure, so it looks and feels more like a sports shoe than a skate. This skate has toe stops that match the wheel color for stability and braking control. Its bearings are also sealed and greased so your kids can use them longer.
• Lightweight torsion beam chassis
• Toe stops
• Bearings are sealed and greased for longer life
• Sizes run small
9. Chicago Boys Rink Roller Skate – Black Youth Quad Skates
• Great ankle support
• Adjustable size for comfort fit
• Suitable for indoor and outdoor skating
• Stopper screw easily falls off
10. Chicago Women’s Premium Leather Lined Rink Roller Skate – Classic White Quad Skates
Chicago Women’s Premium Leather Lined Rink Roller Skate is an iconic rink skate that our little princess can wear and use either indoors or outdoors. Its wheels were made for smooth rolling to help them learn stability and control easily. This roller skate also has a high-profile boot featuring a controlled top for optimum ankle support. Your princess will enjoy every twist and turn since this has an aluminum base plate with adjustable trucks to be controlled with ease.
• Large front brake
• Athletic style
• Durable and shock absorber wheels
• High maintenance needed for durability
11. Roller Derby Boy’s Laser Speed Quad Skate
Roller Derby Boys’ Laser Speed Squad Skate is another recommended skate for little athletes. It features additional padding to both interior and the color boot for added comfort fit. It has a classic lace and hook-and-loop power strap to secure their feet and keep laces in check. This roller skate is made from real metal trucks for maximum control when turning. These tennis shoe-inspired skates are made to ensure comfort and stability as your little boy has total control over the snug fit.
• Lightweight Tru-Truck chassis
• Fixed toe stops on both skates
• Gold-7 speed-rated carbon bearings go fast
• Wheels are not durable enough
12. ANCHEER Inline Skates Adjustable Kids Inline Skates Teens Roller Skates for Girls Boys Size 12-8 Aggressive Urban Toddler Skating
ANCHEER Inline Skates is a good pick for your extra active kid because it is multi-functional; your child can use it for transportation as he goes to school or slalom freely, either indoors or outdoors. Its wheels are of moderate size to make sure children will feel comfortable wearing them. It is also lightweight and sturdy with high-cut plastic frames. It features a front cap to protect their toes from hitting and a soft, supportive shell to add support and prevent their ankles from hurting. The triple protection system includes a standard lace, Velcro strap, and a high-strength buckle.
• Triple protection system
• Adjustable size for growing children
• It has a sturdy aluminum frame for added support
• Sizing is either too big or too small
13.XinoSports Adjustable Kids Inline Skates for Girls & Boys with Light Up Wheels (Ages 5-20) – Roller Skates with Illuminating Wheels
Xinosports Adjustable Kids Inline Skates is perfect for your growing kids since it can last you longer. This roller skate has double-thick threading and high-grade plastic clasps for durability. It also features a rust-resistant frame with flashing LED lights so your little boy can use it safely, even at night. This has a sturdy design that will not compromise your kid’s comfort, and it was made with the child’s comfort in mind; it has a thicker padding and soft foam inner lining to prevent any discomfort. Adjust the boots for a growing little boy, and he can use them for a few more years.
• Batteries not needed for its illuminating wheels
• Good quality design
• Check the wheels from time to time to prevent it from falling off
14. High Bounce Adjustable Inline Skate
Get the value your little kid deserves; check out High Bounce Adjustable Inline Skate. Let your kid glide smoothly either on concrete, carpet, or even grass! These skates are easy to put on and off, so it wouldn’t take much excitement before the kid tries on. It has a very simple buckle without laces to tie. You can simply press the button to adjust the sizing for your growing child. It also has a frame made of reinforced nylon, so it is light and durable.
• Simple buckle with no laces to tie
• Adjustable inline skates
• Super smooth gel wheels
• Wheels are too smooth not recommended for beginners
15. Lenexa uGOgrl Roller Skates for Girls – Kids Quad Roller Skate
Indoor, Outdoor, Derby Children’s Skate – Rollerskates Made for Kids – Great Youth Skate for Beginners
Lenexa Roller Skates for girls is another good pick if you want a youth skate for beginners. This has a soft padded inner lining to prevent blisters or sore feet, perfect for beginners. Let them skate on any surface as this has a nylon base plate and urethane wheels with ABEC-5 bearings for a balanced, smooth glide. Safety is secured because of its high-top boot and tightening laces.
• great ankle support
• comfortable and pain free
• perfect for beginners
• sizes run small
Roller skating is a fun way to introduce your child to an outdoor activity that he/she will surely enjoy. Choosing the best roller skates for our kids and toddlers will play an important role in ensuring that we aren’t sacrificing their safety and comfort. It is always important to be knowledgeable about a product, especially if we introduce something new to our little one. Reading reliable sources and guides will help us a big deal in choosing the best, but of course, we, parents, are the final decision-makers. Let’s always maximize our resources to do our research or ask other moms’ opinions from a community to help you decide.